Friday, July 17, 2009

Home Sweet Home! (Nicola Edition)

I must admit that after 3 months of being away both Andrew and I were pretty excited about coming home for 10 days. We were mostly looking forward to spending time with our family and friends. But we also needed to do some restocking of supplies that we would need for our upcoming 4 months in Asia.

We flew from San Jose, Costa Rica to Toronto, Canada and after collecting our backpacks in the airport, we wheeled our trolly through the baggage claim doors, only to hear LOUD screaming... from my entire family. To my surprise my Mom, Dad, 2 Aunts and Cousin was there screaming and jumping around as we came through the door. We were so surprised to see them... what a welcome home!!!

A FEW HIGHLIGHTS FROM MY TIME AT HOME:

Toronto:

On my first day home I was a tourist in my own city and went to The Bata Shoe Museum with my Cousins (Catherine and Michelle), Auntie Mary and Auntie Dawn. It's a place that I have always wanted to go, but never had the time. As my Auntie Dawn and Cousin Michelle were visiting from Australia we felt it would be a great opportunity for all of us to do something fun together. Many thanks to Catherine for organizing the "girls day outing."


Another day my Cousins Michael, Michelle and Joel and Andrew and Myself took the Go train Downtown to do another touristy activity..... we rode the "Hippo Bus." It is a tour bus that drives around the downtown core then turns into a boat and goes into Lake Ontario around Ontario Place. It's another thing that I have always wanted to do, but never had a good enough reason to do it. Since the Aussie's were visiting... we all decided it would be a cool way for them to see the city.


Met my friend Meghan downtown and watched her get her first tattoo: (pictures will be posted)

BBQ at Paul & Florence's house: (Andrew's dad and step mother) Where we got to get together with all of Andrew's family.

Got to see Reily-Buttons: Our dog whom we missed so much during the past 3 months. He has been staying with the very capable and great doggie sitters Bridget and her family (Andrew's big sis) and in May with Phyllis (Andrew's mom) It was so exciting to see him after all this time, but also very sad to say goodbye again.

Got to see Oliver: who I miss alot too... Andrew not so much! He has been staying with Janet (Andrew's mom's friends) who is an excellent cat sitter with so much patients for cats, it's unreal. He's generally not the easiest of cats to look after.

Mom's turkey dinner: everyone knows that one of my favourite home cooked meals by my Mom is her turkey dinner. Well, I think my mother may have possibly felt bad that Andrew and I would be missing this years Thanksgiving meal. So guess what she made for us on our last night??? Yummy turkey dinner, stuffing et al. Awww thanks ma!

NEW PURCHASE:

We are pleased to announce the arrival of our brand new "Netbook" computer. Now we can be connected anywhere we go. Andrew had done a lot of research while in South America and ordered the computer to be delivered to us when we got back into town.

We are really enjoying having the computer... as most places we have been to offer free WiFi.

ANOTHER NEW PURCHASE:

The bigger the bag... the more stuff in it. Every girl out there knows that. The only consequence is... it becomes heavy!

During the South America portion of our trip I was having some "difficulties" with my backpack. Mostly due to the enormous size of it, 85L (18kg) bulging to the top, and extremely heavy to carry. Upon purchasing this backpack I fooled myself into believing that I would be "conservative" with the amount of contents I was bringing. Somehow I got way ahead of myself and ended up with a monster of a bag that I was unable to carry. Everytime I would need it on my back Andrew would have to hoist it up and down for me... and I became a whinny baby every time I thought of carrying it in the heat.

So I bought another pack when I was home... and I love it. It's no longer a top loader which makes finding clothes extremely easy, and the best part of all it only is 64L. Currently it is weighing in at 13.5kg!!!!!!!! I can carry it no problem!

Although our visit at home wasn't very long... we are so glad that we had the opportunity to do that.

Click on picture below to see the album in Picasa.

Toronto, Canada


~Nicola

No comments:

Post a Comment