Monday, November 9, 2009

Fun Fact #1: NAILS

Throughout our trip to South America and South East Asia I have been compiling a list of random things that I call “fun facts” they are things that I find interesting or different. Due to procrastination my list has been growing longer without any of them being posted in the blog. I’m going to start posting them periodically from now on.




What is the deal with the nails???? Why do men in South East Asia have an obsession with growing their nails long? If all their nails aren’t long, why only grow the pinky nail?

No matter what country we have been to in this sub-continent it is oh so common to see men with long nails. I wondered, Is it because men here are notorious “pickers?” You can’t go a day without seeing someone use that long nail to probe into the depths of their nostril or deep into their ear canal. Or is it just plain fashion? Or is it cultural?

I recently asked a local Vietnamese guy, and the answer is confirmed and simple, it is to do what we all naturally wish we could do in public but due to social boundaries we do not…. It’s for PICKING!



No comments:

Post a Comment