Sunday, November 22, 2009

Fun Fact #5: TOILETS

Everyone loves a good toilet joke!!! Well in South East Asia the jokes on us!!!


It is the land of squatter toilets, which are only to be described as a toilet basin on the floor with two areas next to it for your feet and are always accompanied by a large bucket with water to scoop into the toilet after. It is something that us Western’s find hard to get accustomed to. As mentioned in the Fun Fact “Crouch” blog, our bodies just don’t seem to bend the way that is needed to use one of these toilets. In fact, I find it very troublesome and annoying to use them.


There is also something else that is commonly located right next to a Western toilet… and it is a hose (similar to a backyard hose) To this day I am still confused… What is that used for????


Western style toilets are becoming very popular across the continent but the funny thing is many locals prefer the squatter. When waiting in lines for the toilet, I have witnessed locals opt and wait for one of the squatters to become available instead of using a Western one.


A fact: There have been Western toilets with diagrams showing how to use them. One thing I find funny is the sign with the picture, showing NOT to stand on the toilet seat… but to use it by sitting on it. After seeing this diagram in a few establishments, I noticed that many Western style toilets do in fact have foot prints on them.


Don’t get me started on the lack of toilet paper available! It has become a “must have” of mine, I always have a roll of toilet paper in my bag or a package of tissue. I feel it is absolutely necessary to have such items, and I can’t understand how many people go without! I’m not judging them… I’m just sayin’!

No comments:

Post a Comment