Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Colca Canyon, Peru

Colca Canyon:
We booked a 3 day trek of the Colca Canyon through Colca Treks in Arequipa. There were many styles of treks offered into the canyon but this particular one included more time to explore and stay in the canyon, natural pool oasis in the bottom of the canyon, hot thermal springs, a chance to see the condors in areas that were not as saturated by tourists.
Unknown to me at the time of booking but the colca canyon trek would be one of the most challenging things I have ever experienced in my entire life! Had I known how to interpret a topographic map maybe I would have second guessed the canyon hike!!!!

Day I:
We left our comfy hotel at 8:00 to start our trek. We were a group of 7 plus driver and english speaking local guide. The itinary for the first day was to drive behind el Misti volcano into the national park. Along the way we stopped in 3 different altitudes which all had their seperate ecosystems. We were able to see Alpacas, Vicunas, Llamas, Flamingos and other types of vegetation. Our highest altitude was up to 4900 metres. We stopped at Cruz del Condor to try to spot and take photos of the endangered bird. We were fortunate to spot a few Condors during our first few minutes. They were easy to spot due to their huge wingspan of 3 metres. Our guide told us a story of Condor's pushing donkey's over the edge of the canyon for food. Since they are scavengers they would come back after a few days later to eat it. That became our group joke... someone jumping off the side, sacrificing themself, so the others could get a better view of the condors.
The first night we stayed in a village called Cabanaconde in a nice hotel with hot showers. That night, because of the high altitude, I had the most terrible migraine. So there was no supper for me and off early to bed!!! Andrew and the others seemed to be fine since he ate both of our meals... such is my luck!

Day II:
We had an early rise and started our descent into the Colca Canyon. The path down was not an easy one, it was gravel, rocky, winding, and very very steep! The scenery was amazingly beautiful, we seemed so small compared to the canyon. In the very distance we could see the natural Oasis that was waiting for us at the bottom. It took us around 3 hours to get to the bottom of the canyon 1200 metres down... where we were treated to a refreshing swim and gorgeous sunny weather to soak in. Our accomodation for that night was camping in tents.

Day III:
The ascent of the canyon started at 4:45am (before sunrise) As our group began to walk up the path I knew it would be a LONG morning. Equiped with headlamps and flashlights and darkness all around, this began the most gruelling 2.5 hrs of my life. We let the group pass up because they were keeners and were walking at lightening speed. Half way up, with tears in my eyes and utterly exhasted I thought "how can I go on? Just leave me here for the condors!" Somehow the combination of the beauty of the rising sun over the canyon, and the scenery I managed to move onwards. During the next few hours we hiked up the steep winding gravel path until we finally reached the top, where our group applauded us as we approached. After 2.5 hours of hiking we finally made it! Hehe, some of them were waiting at the top for an hour in the dark!
We stopped at a hot thermal spring, where we soaked our aching muscles for an hour. After a great lunch buffet we headed back to Arequipa. (both Andrew and I tried the Peruvian delicacy of Guinea Pig "Cuy"- which by the way wasn't that great.)
Arrived at Arequipa for 4:00 just in time to get ready for our 10 hr bus ride to Cusco, Peru.
~Nicola

Click on picture below to see the album in Picasa.
Colca Canyon trek, Peru

1 comment:

  1. Amazing pictures guys. It seems like you've covered so much ground already. I can't believe you're only a month in! Earl
    p.s. Dude, tell me my eyes are playing tricks on my and you did not write that you guys ate guinea pigs!!!!! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...(*single tear*)

    ReplyDelete